Whatever your reasons, there may come a time when you’d like to transfer your books from Smashwords to Draft2Digital. And we like to make that sort of thing as easy as possible. So here are some step-by-step instructions to help out.
3 EASY STEPS:
- Download your book’s RTF file from Smashwords
- Log in to Draft2Digital and upload that file, enter the title and book descrpition, and go through our step-by-step guided process
9 STILL-EASY BUT MORE ELABORATE STEPS
We’ve included links to specific locations in the video, if you’d like to skip ahead to any section. Clicking on the link will open a new tab or window and start playing the video from that location:
- Log in to Smashwords and go to the Dashboard, which you can find by clicking on your profile thumbnail in the upper right corner. https://youtu.be/U-u1OKt7wQI?t=10s
- Scroll down to find the book you want to transfer. You’ll want to make sure that you unpublish the book prior to transferring it to D2D, to avoid double listing the book on various services. https://youtu.be/U-u1OKt7wQI?t=17s
- Click on the book’s title in the Title column.
- Scroll down, and under Manage Your Book, find the Download the full version of this book section. Here you can select a format to download, including your original document. You may also want to copy the book’s description and any search terms or other information you included in your Smashwords listing. https://youtu.be/U-u1OKt7wQI?t=52s
- D2D can convert Word Docs and RTF files, and we can accept pre-formatted EPUB files. We recommend using either DOC or RTF, however, so that you can take advantage of our automated formatting tools, including our end matter and front matter. With a DOC or RTF file, you can also remove references to Smashwords or or previously used ISBNs that you may have included, and make any other edits you like.
- Now that you have your file, go to Draft2Digital.com. If you haven’t signed up already, click Sign Up and go through the quick and easy signup process to create your account. If you already have an account, hit Log In the email address and password you used to sign up for your account. https://youtu.be/U-u1OKt7wQI?t=3m25s
- Once logged in, you’ll be taken to the My Books Page. From here, click Add New Book.
- From here, you can upload your book using the Upload Book File field. Continue setting up your book by entering all of its information, including Title, Description, and Search Terms.
- Continue to follow the steps in the upload process, and within a few minutes you’ll be able to choose your sales channels hit Publish on your book! The whole process usually takes less than ten minutes from start to finish, but if you run into any trouble at all, click Support in the top menu and send us a note. We’ll help solve it!
For more D2D answers check out our FAQ and draft2digital.com/FAQ
Read up on our knowledge base at draft2digital.com/knowledgebase
Follow us on Twitter @draft2digital and Facebook at facebook.com/draft2digital
And of course, hop over to draft2digital.com/blog to get great content aimed at helping you build and grow your author business.