Reaching Out: Your Easy Guide to Finding Affordable Quality Online Therapy A Practitioner's Perspective
by Ellen Whyte and Alvin Ng Lai Oon
Publisher: Ellen Whyte
Reaching out for online mental health support but not sure where to start? Reaching Out is the guide for you!
Packed with useful information, and written in everyday English, Reaching Out will help you make informed decisions.
This short, easy text answers common questions such as:
- When is working online totally terrific and when should I avoid it?
- Should I look for a psychiatrist, psychologist, or some other mental health practitioner? What do all the titles mean anyway?
- How can I tell who's professional and who is out to scam me?
- How confidential are sessions?
- Do I need fancy software or can I just Zoom?
- How do I pick the right person to work with?
Do culture and shared experience matter?
- What do I need to do to get the most out of therapy?
This practical guide is written by an academic and a practitioner, so you benefit from a wide perspective.
Dr Alvin Ng is a professor of psychology, the Founding President of the Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology, and the author of journal articles and scientific publications.
Ellen Whyte is a Scottish-Dutch counselling psychologist in Malaysia. She has an international practice with clients based in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and North America.
As Alvin and Ellen take you through the basics, they also offer individual comments and insights. Sometimes they disagree!
Finally, while Alvin and Ellen are based in Malaysia, they write for an international audience. So, take advantage of global online therapy services, and read Reaching Out.