Draft2Digital Opens D2D Print to Every Author
Next-Generation Print on Demand Solution Turns eBooks into Beautiful Print Books and Simplifies POD Setup and Distribution
March 14, 2023—OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – Draft2Digital, LLC., the world’s leading book publishing and distribution platform for independent authors, today announced the opening of D2D Print to all authors and small presses. D2D Print is a breakthrough print-on-demand (POD) service that makes POD publishing and distribution more accessible and easier to use for anyone in the publishing landscape.
D2D Print has already helped more than 9,000 authors produce and distribute over 30,000 print books, and those numbers are anticipated to grow as a result of opening the service to everyone.
Recent industry data indicates that the print format is three to four times more popular with readers than digital. Currently Draft2Digital aids more than 250,000 authors and small press publishers to manage the production, distribution, and promotion of over 950,000 ebooks. Fewer than 10% of these ebooks are currently offered in print—a number which Draft2Digital intends to increase.
A 2022 Pew Research study that examined the reading habits of Americans underscored the challenge— and the global opportunity—faced by indie authors who are now underrepresented in print. Of the 75% of survey respondents who reported reading at least one book in the prior year, 13.8% said they read only digital books (ebooks and audio), whereas three times as many (49%) reported reading only print books (paperback and hardcover). An additional 37.2% read both print and digital.
These findings suggest that digital-only publishers may be missing out on 86% of the potential readership for their books. From this data, Draft2Digital has concluded that simply by offering a POD option, they could enable all authors and small presses the opportunity to expand their market and reach more readers.
This enhanced opportunity is seen as a revolutionary advancement by the company.
“D2D Print is to physical books what Smashwords was to ebook self-publishing and the democratization of book publishing 15 years ago,” said Kris Austin, Draft2Digital CEO. “Once again, we are leveling the playing field for all authors by offering a quick, easy, and affordable way for any author to publish and distribute physical books. If you already have an ebook in our system, with just a few clicks you can have a print book, too. It’s that simple.”
Print on Demand, Redefined
Print on demand is nothing new, yet most POD services today are complex, lack essential support for authors, and can be quite expensive—with overhead that includes everything from setup fees to change fees, in addition to add-on services such as layout and cover design. With D2D Print, Draft2Digital has taken some profound early steps to remove or reduce that overhead, while offering a robust palette of services and tools for authors and small presses.
That offering is only the beginning, as D2D remains focused on continuously improving upon the service and building all-new resources for authors and publishers.
The rapid adoption of D2D Print by its authors and small presses is indicative of the service’s ease of use, best-in-class author support, and zero set-up fees or recurring costs. Key benefits of D2D Print include the ability to:
- Convert an ebook to a print book with just a few clicks. For authors who already have an existing ebook with Draft2Digital, all it takes is just a few clicks to automatically convert an ebook to a print book. Authors can also start with a print book and convert it to an ebook later.
- Turn an ebook book cover image into a full wraparound print cover in seconds. This unique innovation eliminates the need and expense of creating a separate cover image for the physical book. For authors who already have an existing cover image for their ebooks, Draft2Digital’s cover converter will turn it into a full wrap-around print cover and ensure it is the perfect size and dimensions for their manuscript.
- Pick from dozens of beautiful and professional interior layouts. Draft2Digital’s free layout templates are attractive and professional looking, and there are dozens to choose from. Authors can review and modify the layout prior to publication.
- Distribute print books worldwide. Draft2Digital has partnered with one of the world’s leading distributor of print books, ensuring that print on demand books published through D2D Print are available to order and purchase in just about every country on the planet.
Other useful features include:
- Free ISBNs. Authors have the option to bring their own ISBNs or to use one freely provided by Draft2Digital.
- A variety of trim sizes. Most of the industry standard print on demand trim sizes are available, and more are being added.
- A variety of format options. Users can choose from matte or glossy covers and white or cream interiors. They can also choose special features such as drop caps and scene-break decorations.
- Widow & Orphan Control. This feature helps keep odd line breaks and distracting widowed and orphaned text to a minimum.
- Print Price Calculator. This tool helps authors select a retail price for their book based on trim size and page count and it will calculate the estimated unit cost and royalty automatically.
What’s next for D2D Print
D2D Print’s beta period allowed the company to focus on building and refining not only the most requested features, but also new and powerful tools that enable authors to do more than is possible with any other POD service. Tools such as the ebook-to-print converter and the ebook cover converter are unique and innovative offerings found only with Draft2Digital, and they save authors on overhead costs. Going forward, the D2D Print product roadmap includes even more innovations, including hardcover, large print editions, more layout templates, and more trim sizes. The company will also continue to expand on distribution options for print, including new retail channels and library systems.
Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Oklahoma City, Draft2Digital is the world’s leading publishing platform for self-published authors and independent presses. The company offers a broad suite of free and powerful automated and self-serve tools that authors and publishers can use to build and manage their publishing businesses. This includes tools to simplify ebook and print publishing, distribution, metadata management, and marketing. Following its acquisition of Smashwords in March 2022, Draft2Digital serves more than 250,000 authors and publishers that collectively publish nearly one million original titles worldwide. Visit Draft2Digital at https://draft2digital.com or follow on Twitter @Draft2Digital.
Kevin Tumlinson, Director of Marketing & PR
Jim Azevedo, Corporate Communications Manager
Visit our blog post about today’s announcement for more information on how D2D Print can work for you!